miss cupcake

:)
 
HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Memorial Day

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Alaskaman



Posts : 15
Join date : 2009-05-05

PostSubject: Memorial Day   Mon May 18, 2009 6:38 am

I have a suggestion. How about someone share a story about what Memorial Day means to them. Do you have a Memorial holiday in Australia Miss CC? I leave that subject open for discussion and hope it has some good comments.

Have a great week everyone I love you I love you

sunny
Back to top Go down
View user profile
servalesque

avatar

Posts : 63
Join date : 2009-05-05
Location : In front of a computeresque

PostSubject: Re: Memorial Day   Mon May 18, 2009 10:29 pm

Well, there's the Indy 500.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alaskaman



Posts : 15
Join date : 2009-05-05

PostSubject: My next topic............   Wed May 20, 2009 8:54 am

Alaskaman wrote:
I have a suggestion. How about someone share a story about what Memorial Day means to them. Do you have a Memorial holiday in Australia Miss CC? I leave that subject open for discussion and hope it has some good comments.

Have a great week everyone I love you I love you

sunny

Maybe if I picked Gay Marriage or Iraq War and I would have a few more responses. Oh well, if the headline isn't sexy, no one cares right?

No
Back to top Go down
View user profile
servalesque

avatar

Posts : 63
Join date : 2009-05-05
Location : In front of a computeresque

PostSubject: Re: Memorial Day   Wed May 20, 2009 7:45 pm

To me, Memorial Day represents gay marriages in the Iraq war.

lol!
(Yes, I'm kidding)


Last edited by servalesque on Wed May 20, 2009 8:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
servalesque

avatar

Posts : 63
Join date : 2009-05-05
Location : In front of a computeresque

PostSubject: The weekend before Memorial Day   Wed May 20, 2009 7:55 pm

There's a local art and wino wine festival. Anybody want me to get them something?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Strijdparel



Posts : 21
Join date : 2009-05-08

PostSubject: Re: Memorial Day   Thu May 21, 2009 2:16 am

servalesque wrote:
There's a local art and wino wine festival. Anybody want me to get them something?

Don't know where you live, but i will drink a cola on you because i dont drink alcohol.

Memorial day means something to me to. In Holland it is on the 4th of may. At 8 o clock there are two minets silence and in those minutes i always go out side and exept for those who have fallen in the war I also think about de dead people i personally know, for example my dead granddad who i unfortunatly don't know.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alaskaman



Posts : 15
Join date : 2009-05-05

PostSubject: Re: Memorial Day   Thu May 21, 2009 2:50 am

Strijdparel wrote:
servalesque wrote:
There's a local art and wino wine festival. Anybody want me to get them something?

Don't know where you live, but i will drink a cola on you because i dont drink alcohol.

Memorial day means something to me to. In Holland it is on the 4th of may. At 8 o clock there are two minets silence and in those minutes i always go out side and exept for those who have fallen in the war I also think about de dead people i personally know, for example my dead granddad who i unfortunatly don't know.

I is a day to honor those that sacrificed for us. It is a special day. I hoped more responses but if I had a subject like Britney Spears is ugly, I am sure I would have more responses. Memorial Day is just not a sexy topic and so far that shows true. I am just thankful two people responded. The USA has been at war since 911 against Iraq, Afghanistan, and international terrorism. And, Iran or Pakistan is on the list and that is inevitable I am sad to say. Nuclear proliferation is forcing hard choices to be made no matter what government has power. Soon my president, Obama, will also have to make a difficult decision maybe even a preemptive military action so hated by many in regards to Bush and Iraq. But, those two countries are very precarious and the world is more precarious each month. Maybe the areas I touched will motivate some to sound out now. We will see........Have a safe Memorial Day weekend everyone! drunken Basketball cheers Wink Smile study flower geek sunny pirat Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NamelessOne



Posts : 10
Join date : 2009-05-04
Location : China

PostSubject: Re: Memorial Day   Thu May 21, 2009 8:18 pm

I would like to say something about this ‘Memorial Day’. Actually in my country we don’t have a particular Day for it. Because there is a preexisting ‘Ching Ming Festival’ which is a festival not only for people to commemorate those that passed away but also for people to go outside and enjoy the lovely spring. It has a long history and is quite a tradition. Commonly during that day all the students will be organized to go to the nearby Martyrs Cemeteries to have a memorial ceremony.
This is sort of a heavy topic to talk about. We never stopped fighting wars ever since World War II. Like the Sino-Japanese War, Chinese civil war, Korean War, the Sino-Vietnam War. Nobody knows exactly how many Chinese soldiers died of there wars. The number should be enormous. Many of them died for the survival of China against Japan. Others just died for their communist ideality. I don’t know what they would say if they could resurrect and see the changes happened to the world now. Anyway they were soldiers they didn’t have choices.
The government king doesn’t even want to mention the Sino-Vietnam War now. The soldiers died in this war are simply and sadly forgotten.
Well anyway it’s all past. Hope things like this never happen again in china. Let the corrupted ideology rot in the hell and never return. But it seems that it is still happening in other parts of the world. And the USA is working on it. I think it is not going to be easy. confused
Back to top Go down
View user profile
misscupcake



Posts : 18
Join date : 2009-04-30
Age : 32
Location : Australia

PostSubject: Re: Memorial Day   Fri May 22, 2009 2:20 pm

NamelessOne wrote:

This is sort of a heavy topic to talk about.


that is precisely why i do not enter conversations about these sort of things.

i have beliefs about what goes on in the world, just like everyone else has their beliefs. i dont feel the need to discuss it openly on a forum. i find it depressing, and my forum isnt supposed to be like that.

i am not open to discussion about things i cannot change.

all i see, is disrespect for human life. people killing eachother. people torturing eachother. all rolled in with religion, used as an excuse to do terrible things.

you guys are welcome to discuss it here if you wish, without me Smile
but dont complain about the lack or responses. its not like this forum has alot of members or anything.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alaskaman



Posts : 15
Join date : 2009-05-05

PostSubject: Re: Memorial Day   Sat May 23, 2009 5:05 am

[quote="misscupcake"][quote="NamelessOne"]
This is sort of a heavy topic to talk about. [/quote]


that is precisely why i do not enter conversations about these sort of things.

i have beliefs about what goes on in the world, just like everyone else has their beliefs. i dont feel the need to discuss it openly on a forum. i find it depressing, and my forum isnt supposed to be like that.

i am not open to discussion about things i cannot change.

all i see, is disrespect for human life. people killing eachother. people torturing eachother. all rolled in with religion, used as an excuse to do terrible things.

you guys are welcome to discuss it here if you wish, without me Smile
but dont complain about the lack or responses. its not like this forum has alot of members or anything.[/quote]

Okay, sorry if I offended you. I will keep it lighter for sure. Have a safe weekend.

will
Back to top Go down
View user profile
servalesque

avatar

Posts : 63
Join date : 2009-05-05
Location : In front of a computeresque

PostSubject: Art and Wino Festival   Sat May 23, 2009 8:06 am

Some idiot (me) didn't realize that this weekend is Memorial Day weekend. The Art and Wino Festival is on Memorial Day Weekend.

I'll bet all of you were worried about that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
servalesque

avatar

Posts : 63
Join date : 2009-05-05
Location : In front of a computeresque

PostSubject: Too Many People at the Art and Wine Festival.   Sun May 24, 2009 8:02 pm

When under stress I don't deal well with crowds. I have four final projects to complete plus final exams coming up. I only stayed a few minutes. Besides, I don't drink.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Strijdparel



Posts : 21
Join date : 2009-05-08

PostSubject: Re: Memorial Day   Mon May 25, 2009 3:33 am

Alaskaman wrote:

The USA has been at war since 911 against Iraq, Afghanistan, and international terrorism. And, Iran or Pakistan is on the list and that is inevitable I am sad to say. Nuclear proliferation is forcing hard choices to be made no matter what government has power. Soon my president, Obama, will also have to make a difficult decision maybe even a preemptive military action so hated by many in regards to Bush and Iraq. But, those two countries are very precarious and the world is more precarious each month. Maybe the areas I touched will motivate some to sound out now. We will see........Have a safe Memorial Day weekend everyone! drunken Basketball cheers Wink Smile study flower geek sunny pirat Wink

Yeah, well I have to say I don't hope Obama will start an other war against Iran. But I actually don't think Obama will do that. He talkes a lot more than Bush ever did. Talking is often way better than taking dramatic actions. In the netherlands we have got a saying: "It is easyer catching a bee with honey than with vinegar." You can often better sweettalk with your enemys than insult them.
What we also should not forget is the reason Bush invaded Iraq was because there where weapons of mass distruction, probably nuclear or even biological. It turned out not to be true. He lied to us. And another mistake he made was that he stayed far to long in Iraq. They should have left about tops 3 years when they first invaded. To summen it up: I think Bush screwed it up, and I really think Obama can and will do it better.

But I agree with you, people should pay more respect on memorial day because it is very important to remember that so many people gave there lives in what ever kind of war. I think the day is also important because we should be reminded that war is a terrible thing that often clames unnessesary victoms.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alaskaman



Posts : 15
Join date : 2009-05-05

PostSubject: Re: Memorial Day   Wed May 27, 2009 6:58 am

[quote="Strijdparel"][quote="Alaskaman"]
The USA has been at war since 911 against Iraq, Afghanistan, and international terrorism. And, Iran or Pakistan is on the list and that is inevitable I am sad to say. Nuclear proliferation is forcing hard choices to be made no matter what government has power. Soon my president, Obama, will also have to make a difficult decision maybe even a preemptive military action so hated by many in regards to Bush and Iraq. But, those two countries are very precarious and the world is more precarious each month. Maybe the areas I touched will motivate some to sound out now. We will see........Have a safe Memorial Day weekend everyone! drunken Basketball cheers Wink Smile study flower geek sunny pirat Wink[/quote]

Yeah, well I have to say I don't hope Obama will start an other war against Iran. But I actually don't think Obama will do that. He talkes a lot more than Bush ever did. Talking is often way better than taking dramatic actions. In the netherlands we have got a saying: "It is easyer catching a bee with honey than with vinegar." You can often better sweettalk with your enemys than insult them.
What we also should not forget is the reason Bush invaded Iraq was because there where weapons of mass distruction, probably nuclear or even biological. It turned out not to be true. He lied to us. And another mistake he made was that he stayed far to long in Iraq. They should have left about tops 3 years when they first invaded. To summen it up: I think Bush screwed it up, and I really think Obama can and will do it better.

But I agree with you, people should pay more respect on memorial day because it is very important to remember that so many people gave there lives in what ever kind of war. I think the day is also important because we should be reminded that war is a terrible thing that often clames unnessesary victoms.[/quote]

I will be moving on from here. I wish well for all but need to focus on other things outside of the Inet. But, I have learned something valuable and that is many people avoid history or patterns of history. I am a realist and very pragmatic and wish not to burden anyone with that especially Miss CC. Her site and her rules. But, when that news flash happens, then the reality sets in and usually by some only then for it has to be faced. I wish for a better world. I wish for peace. I wish for love. I wish for harmony. I wish for an international community willing to end all war. But, I live in the real world. I know history. I can count on three hands the wars that have happened for the united states since 1912. I see the headlines and see the clouds forming over the persian gulf and the korean peninsula. But, as in 1935, many did not want to face the reality of Japan, Germany, and Italy. So, I sign off and hope all of you will be able to endure the real world as it comes and when it comes forced upon you in the news whether it is liked or not. I just am amazed at how history, war, repeats itself and the next generation refuses to see it coming again, and again, and again. Iran is inevitable no matter whoever is president in america. israel and Iran will go to war and the rest of the planet will be sucked into it for many reasons. that is how it will play out. Sorry, but reality is tough!!! Now, that I pissed some or all off with a look at the future or the real world, I will exit and focus that anger on me and blame me all you want but I am just stating the obvious. War is obvious in 1912, 1935, 1949, 1960, 1989, 2000, 2002, and 2009. Look up history to see what happened after those dates excluding 2009. Oh, 2010 is the key date. Stay tuned and God bless you all in this most troubled world. Signing off for good, ciao
Back to top Go down
View user profile
logic



Posts : 11
Join date : 2009-05-27

PostSubject: Re: Memorial Day   Wed May 27, 2009 7:33 am



We have Anzac day (Australian New Zealand Army Corp), which is a HUGE day here.

I added a video which sums it all up for me.
We remember the pains of war and the sacrifices of those who fought - both sides.

Every sentient point is followed with "Lest we forget"

I try to make it to the MCG every year for the Collingwood V Essendon AFL footy match, (which celebrates the occasion)

The media tends to focus on fights in Gallipoli (Turkey) and Kokoda (PNG) and less then there should be in Europe, but at the same time people make pilgrimages to Gallipoli and the Kokoda track; Europe doesn't supply a dramatic focal point.

This day becomes bigger every year.

In comparison Remembrance Day is a much less important day on the calendar. The bugle plays and we hold two minutes silence and then get on with the day.

I thought I'd answer as an Australian in case someone is curious.

I don't think any one here would think that war is EVER a good thing!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NamelessOne



Posts : 10
Join date : 2009-05-04
Location : China

PostSubject: Re: Memorial Day   Wed May 27, 2009 5:45 pm

I think it's not proper to talk about wars here because it's not such a forum. But still I think it's not so wise just to neglect or pretend not seeing what's happening or happened around us either, maybe it's because I am from a country which is very different from yours. That makes me look at these things from different angles. We suffered too much from wars fought for survival or Ideology. The destruction was so severe that even now the traces of wars still got its effects.
Wars have been going on in the world since ever. The eagerness for power is part of human nature. Once people get chance to achieve their crazy dreams they use everything including things that can destroy the whole world and themselves. Democracy seems like a good way to prevent the occurrence of dictators. But don't forget there are still a lot countries being ruled by dictators.
Sometimes it's like if you don't sweep the floor the dusts simply won't disappear by themselves. The point is that people need to do it before the dusts accumulate into a mountain-like pile. Don't wait until the big pile of dusts grows into a monster and devours everything around it. That has happened a lot before, and thousands of millions of people died. Maybe your idea of life is all about having fun or at least trying to. But some other people don't think it that way.
It doesn't mean that we have to live anxiously. But at least we should pay attention to it because actually danger is not like billions of light-years away from us. Sometimes it could be very near.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
logic



Posts : 11
Join date : 2009-05-27

PostSubject: Re: Memorial Day   Thu May 28, 2009 5:10 am

Well said China
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Strijdparel



Posts : 21
Join date : 2009-05-08

PostSubject: Re: Memorial Day   Sun May 31, 2009 12:32 am

Alaskaman wrote:

I will be moving on from here. I wish well for all but need to focus on other things outside of the Inet. But, I have learned something valuable and that is many people avoid history or patterns of history. I am a realist and very pragmatic and wish not to burden anyone with that especially Miss CC. Her site and her rules. But, when that news flash happens, then the reality sets in and usually by some only then for it has to be faced. I wish for a better world. I wish for peace. I wish for love. I wish for harmony. I wish for an international community willing to end all war. But, I live in the real world. I know history. I can count on three hands the wars that have happened for the united states since 1912. I see the headlines and see the clouds forming over the persian gulf and the korean peninsula. But, as in 1935, many did not want to face the reality of Japan, Germany, and Italy. So, I sign off and hope all of you will be able to endure the real world as it comes and when it comes forced upon you in the news whether it is liked or not. I just am amazed at how history, war, repeats itself and the next generation refuses to see it coming again, and again, and again. Iran is inevitable no matter whoever is president in america. israel and Iran will go to war and the rest of the planet will be sucked into it for many reasons. that is how it will play out. Sorry, but reality is tough!!! Now, that I pissed some or all off with a look at the future or the real world, I will exit and focus that anger on me and blame me all you want but I am just stating the obvious. War is obvious in 1912, 1935, 1949, 1960, 1989, 2000, 2002, and 2009. Look up history to see what happened after those dates excluding 2009. Oh, 2010 is the key date. Stay tuned and God bless you all in this most troubled world. Signing off for good, ciao

Alaskaman, I wish you the best of luck. I hope what I said did not offend you, because that was never my intention. I just said what was on my mind, but everybody is entiteld to ther own opinnion right? Anyway, maby until later if you may decide to come back.

Namelessone, I totally agree with you, well spoken.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
logic



Posts : 11
Join date : 2009-05-27

PostSubject: Re: Memorial Day   Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:43 am

Alaskaman, I don't know why anybody would shoot the messenger (you) when you are talking about something that is historically likely and obvious to everybody. War is not something to ignore...

My only answer is not to initiate the problems. You should remember that war can go on and you can be untouched. It is fear that drives people to overreact. The first casualty of war is the truth.

I am sorry that people are desensitized to real suffering. The 'law of the jungle' and 'us v them' attitude are advanced survival strategies. If things get hard enough people will do anything.

It would be AMAZING if the world made it 50 years without another major war. If you think of all the hate that exists between countries it is amazing we are still here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NamelessOne



Posts : 10
Join date : 2009-05-04
Location : China

PostSubject: Re: Memorial Day   Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:14 pm

20 years ago, on the June 4th some people gave up their lives for a little change of the country. May their souls sleep in peace.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Memorial Day   

Back to top Go down
 
Memorial Day
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
miss cupcake :: Forum :: Discussion-
Jump to: